Used Books for Sale

        The Genealogy Department was recently blessed with a large donation of books and information covering Franklin, Saline and Williamson Counties.  After adding to our shelves and inventory, we will be selling some of the duplicated books.   These books do have some marks and hi-lighting in them but are in good condition.  We have priced them accordingly.  They can be picked up at the museum or we could mail them to you for $5.00 shipping, plus cost of book. They are on a first come first serve basis. The other counties will be listed in the future.

Franklin County Books for Sale Continue reading

New Obits Added to Our Master Obit Index

729 digital obituaries covering deaths that occurred in our county during 2021 along with 216 paper obits and funeral cards donated to us over the last year that were put in our Card Catalog obit files have been added to our Master Obituary Index on our website. Most of the funeral cards were donated to us by one individual and they are mostly all Italian individuals buried in San Carlo Cemetery in Herrin over the period of 1930 through the 1960’s.

View the new funeral card and obit additions here.

Stained Glass added to Museum Windows

In February 2022, Marion resident Leonard Russell donated a number of items to our museum. Among them were a letter written by his great grandmother, Mrs. W.P. Throgmorton, during the civil war to her brother, land grants, deeds, books and four pieces of stained glass.

The stained-glass pieces for the most part are 36″ x 24″ and came in pairs from the First Baptist Church in Marion when the church went through a large expansion and remodel project decades ago. Leonard had them removed from the window casings and modified to be able to hang in his home. Upon a recent move he donated them to the WCHS and they now occupy windows on three floors of our museum. The window pairs were dedicated to Dr. W.P. Throgmorton and his wife for dedicated service to the church back around 1900. 

WCHS Ready to Extend Hours of Operation

The Williamson County Historical Society Museum and Library located at 105 S. Van Buren St. in Marion will expand it hours of operation to four days a week starting on Wednesday, March 2, 2022. The museum typically limits its hours to Saturdays only during the winter months in order to save on heating costs and perform repairs and renovations. The museum/library’s new hours of operation will be Wednesday through Saturday from 9:30 to 3:00 P.M.

The historical society has hosted the museum in the old county jail since 1976. The jail building once served as the county jail from its construction in 1913 to its last prisoner discharge in early 1972. The jail once housed as many as 80 plus inmates, was a hot spot during the roaring twenties and served as the location for the last prisoner to be publicly hanged in the county in 1927. In addition to a jail, the building also served as the residence for the then current county sheriff.

The museum has four floors and 26 rooms of historical artifacts covering everything from jail cells to local Native American artifacts, early pioneer life, a general store and drug store, vintage clothing, housekeeping, coal mining, vintage tools and much more. Tours, either guided or self-guided, are free, but donations are appreciated.

The research library contains thousands of collected references related to local history and genealogy. Free Wi-Fi is provided and assistance from staff is available to aid those doing research. Even if you have never delved into your family genealogy our staff can help you get started.

Anyone interested in volunteering to help at the museum are welcome. Volunteers can help with typing, research, tours, maintenance, etc. It is our hope that with additional volunteers we can get the museum back to a six day a week schedule as we were in pre-pandemic times.

Winter Projects

While we are currently in a open on Saturday only mode during the winter at the museum we currently have a few projects rolling along. We spent the month of December cleaning and reorganizing our attic storage area. When our roof was replaced in November a lot of debris fell through creating a mess so that room is all cleaned, newly reorganized and taken care of. After completing that we have spent the month of January disassembling, cleaning, repairing, repainting and reworking the displays on the third floor of the museum. New additional lighting has been added since it was always just a bit too dark on that floor. It will take us at least another solid month or more to finish reworking the entire third floor but the work will be time and resources well spent when finished.